Негосударственное Частное Общеобразовательное Учреждение Средняя Общеобразовательная Школа с углубленным изучением иностранных языков «СВЕТОЧ» г.Анапа 8 918 230 59 52 Презентация составлена Дорониной А.В.
The most impressive Castles of Britain Castle Howard
stately home - величественный дом, замок (старинный помещичий дом или замок аристократа в Англии) private residence – частное владение earl - граф (титул ниже маркиза [marquess] и выше виконта [viscount ]) официально именуется по титулу, , the Earl of Alwyn; менее официально - Lord Alwyn) Carlisle -Карлайл (город в Англии, графство Камбрия)
Castle Howard is a stately home in North Yorkshire, England, 15 miles (24 km) north of York. One of the grandest private residences in Britain, most of it was built between 1699 and 1712 for the 3rd Earl of Carlisle, to a design by Sir John Vanbrugh.
The 3rd Earl of Carlisle
It is not a true castle, but this term is often used for English country houses constructed after the castle-building era (c.1500) and not intended for a military function.
Castle Howard has been the home of part of the Howard family for more than 300 years
familiar to - быть знакомым кому-то Audience – аудитория, зрители, слушатели fictional -1) вымышленный 2) беллетристический Heritage - наследие
It is familiar to television and movie audiences as the fictional "Brideshead", both in Granada Television's 1981 adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited and a two-hour 2008 remake for cinema.
In addition to its most famous appearance in film as Brideshead in both the 1981 television serial and 2008 film adaptations of Evelyn Waugh's novel Brideshead Revisited, Castle Howard has been used as a backdrop for a number of other cinematic and television settings. In recent years, the Castle has featured in the 1995 film The Buccaneers and Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties, released in 2006. In the past, it was notable in Peter Ustinov's 1965 film Lady L and as the exterior set for Lady Lyndon's estate in Stanley Kubrick's 1975 movie Barry Lyndon. It has even featured as the Kremlin, in Galton and Simpson's 1966 film The Spy with a Cold Nose.
Today, it is part of the Treasure Houses of England heritage group
The house is surrounded by a large estate which, at the time of the 7th Earl of Carlisle, covered over 13,000 acres (5,300 ha) and included the villages of Welburn, Bulmer, Slingsby, Terrington and Coneysthorpe. The estate was served by its own railway station, Castle Howard, from 1845 to the 1950s.
The 3rd Earl of Carlisle first spoke to William Talman, a leading architect, but commissioned Vanbrugh, a fellow member of the Kit-Cat Club, to design the building. Castle Howard was that gentleman-dilettante's first foray into architecture, but he was assisted by Nicholas Hawksmoor. Vanbrugh's design evolved into a Baroque structure with two symmetrical wings projecting to either side of a north-south axis. The crowning central dome was added to the design at a late stage, after building had begun
evolved into- вовлечен в, вписан в Baroque structure- структура Барокко ( направление живописи и архитектуры) Axis- ось, осевая линия Doric pilasters – дорические пилястры Corinthian - коринфский interiors – интерьер, внутренняя отделка
Construction began at the east end, with the East Wing constructed from 1701–1703, the east end of the Garden Front from 1701 to 1706, the Central Block (including dome) from 1703 to 1706, and the west end of the Garden Front from 1707-1709. All are decorated in Baroque style, with Roman Doric pilasters on the north front and Corinthian on the South. Many interiors were decorated by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini.
The house remained incomplete on the death of the 3rd Earl in 1738, but construction finally started at the direction of the 4th Earl. However, Vanbrugh's design was not completed: the West Wing was built in a contrasting Palladian style to a design by the 3rd Earl's son-in-law, Sir Thomas Robinson. The new wing remained incomplete, with no first floor or roof, at the death of the 4th Earl in 1758; although a roof had been added, the interior remained undecorated by the death of Robinson in 1777. Rooms were completed stage by stage over the following decades, but the whole was not complete until 1811.
A large part of the house was destroyed by fire which broke out on 9 November 1940, including the central dome. Most but not all of the devastated rooms have been restored over the following decades. The house has been open to the public since 1952. Castle Howard is one of the largest country houses in England, with a total of 145 rooms
Castle Howard has extensive and diverse gardens. There is a large formal garden immediately behind the house.
Two major garden buildings are set into this landscape: the Temple of the Four Winds at the end of the garden, and the Mausoleum in the park. There is also a lake on either side of the house
A John Vanbrugh ornamental pillar known as the Quatre Faces (marked as 'Four Faces' on Ordnance Survey Maps) stands in nearby Pretty Wood. There is also a lake on either side of the house. There is an arboretum called Ray Wood, and the walled garden contains decorative rose and flower gardens.
The Temple of the Four Winds - this wonderful folly stands on a rise above the house, beside Ray Wood
The New River Bridge
Steps leading to the altar, the organ is to the right
The Dome - the masterpiece of Castle Howard. The Dome was heavily damaged by fire in the 20th century, but has been carefully restored
Lady Georgiana's Bedroom - the dressing room
Lady Georgiana's Bedroom
The Antique Passage - the statue of the goddess Fortuna in the foreground
The entry - The statue of Bacchus dominates the space beneath the Dome
Entering the Chapel, just off the Long Gallery
Temple of the Four Winds