YOUR CAREER SUCCESS FORMULA and the conundrum of technical leadership Kate Matsudaira, Principal / Urban Influence / @katemats TECHKNOWLEDGE - JANUARY 2016
What happened to merit?
The new world of tech
Choose the right game to play
Following your passion is for suckers
Craftsman Mindset* * For more on this topic you should read So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
…chess players at the highest skill level (i.e. grandmasters) expended about 5000 hours on serious study alone during their ﬁrst decade of serious chess play — nearly ﬁve times the average amount reported by intermediate-level players. Published in 2005 in Applied Cognitive Psychology Journal
Do you have a target?
• MAKING IT WORK FOR YOU Make a list of the skills you have (or could have) that are rare and valuable. • What would it take for you be the best in the world at your job? These are your GOALS. • Carve out time for deliberate practice and learning.
Work on the right things
Fill in the gaps
Manage your manager
Not all bosses are good ones
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
Send your status in email
Deliver on your commitment
Be on time
Make the most of your time
• MAKING IT WORK FOR YOU Manage your manager - have regular meetings and ask good questions. • Share your status. Make your work known. • Be on time. • Work hard and make the most of your time.
Inﬂuence comes from power
what is power?
3 SOURCES OF POWER
HOW DO YOU ASSESS PERFORMANCE? Documentation Hours? Features? Mentoring Quality Recruiting Collaboration Operations Maintainability Innovation & new ideas
HOW DO YOU JUDGE PERFORMANCE?
What is trust?
Elements of trust Reputation Contribution Relationship Architecture Elements are based on Kay’s framework from the “Foundations of Corporate Success”
MAKE TWO LISTS 1. Who are the most inﬂuential people at your work? 2. Who do you spend the most time with?
Relationships are like ﬁlmstrips
Rebuild burned bridges
Focus on the long term
Where does success come from?
Inﬁnite power inﬂuence
MAKING IT WORK FOR YOU • How can you build better relationships? • Expand your relationship architecture: make connections with inﬂuential people outside your team.
YOU AMAZING YOU
• IMAGINE Do they work more hours? • Do they have more knowledge? • How are they diﬀerent?
IT’ S NOT JUST ABOUT WHAT YOU DO, BUT HOW YOU DO IT.
Be someone people want to work with
• IMAGINE Who is the person you admire most at work? • What do they do diﬀerently? • How do they make you feel?
Empathy with a positive attitude
• REFRAME Reverse • Long term • Chance to grow
Make others feel important
Be coachable Authenticity Desire to improve Humility to take feedback
MAKING IT WORK FOR YOU • How are you coming to work? • Be present. • Ask for feedback and then just say thank you instead of explaining.
Mickey and Oprah eating a chess-themed cake?
STRATEGY + RESULTS + INFLUENCE + ATTITUDE = SUCCESS
HOW CAN I HELP YOU? Kate Matsudaira, Principal / Urban Influence / @katemats